These paleo lettuce wraps are great for a low carb dinner that is full of satisfying flavor and texture, and will keep you full for the long term. The ground pork is balanced out with crisp water chestnuts and bamboo shoots, and the taste of sweet and tangy orange juice, ground ginger, and garlic takes the mixture over the top. Although it is recommended to enjoy these in lettuce wraps, this mixture would be equally delicious served over noodles or rice as well.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 10 minutes
1 x 8 oz can water chestnuts
1 x 8 oz can bamboo shoots
¼ cup sesame oil
¼ cup coconut aminos or tamari
2 tablespoons orange juice
4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon fish sauce
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 lb ground pork
Iceberg or butter lettuce leaves, for serving
1. In a food processor, pulse the water chestnuts with the bamboo shoots until finely chopped.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the sesame oil with the coconut aminos (or tamari), orange juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fish sauce and ground ginger until combined. Divide in half and set aside.
3. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the coconut oil to heat. Add the ground pork, breaking apart until just starting to brown.
4. Stir in the bamboo/water chestnut mixture and half of the sesame oil mixture, and cook until the pork is fully cooked and golden brown.
5. Serve the pork mixture in the iceberg or butter lettuce leaves and with the remaining half of the sauce.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Make sure to Post on Instagram and Tag @thetrailtohealth and use hashtag #TheTrailToHealth
You can follow my journey on Facebook and Instagram.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free. I only promote products I trust and use myself. Please see Disclosure Policy for more details.