Celeriac or celery root is an underused vegetable with a delicate, celery-like flavor and texture similar to turnip. It can be used in a multitude of ways from roasting to pureeing for soup, but this celery root mash is particularly good as it can be a healthy replacement for mashed potatoes, especially in diets where potatoes are not tolerated. This side dish is especially wonderful paired with leaner proteins such as chicken, turkey or firm-fleshed white fish.
Servings: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
4 celery roots
½ cup grass fed cream or coconut milk
3 tablespoons butter or ghee
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Peel and cube the celery roots.
2. Set the steamer rack in the Instant Pot and pour in 1 cup of water. Place the cubed celery root on the steamer rack. (Don’t have an Instant Pot? Check out my blog post on 5 Reasons You Need An Instant Pot.)
3. Close and lock the lid and ensure the valve is in the seal position. Press STEAM and set for 12 minutes.
4. When the time is complete, release the pressure by pushing the valve to the venting position. Remove the celery root and set aside. Remove the steamer rack and drain the water.
5. Return the celery root to the Instant Pot and add the cream (or coconut milk), butter (or ghee), salt, garlic powder and onion powder.
6. Use an immersion blender to blend everything together until smooth. Serve immediately.
Did you Make This Recipe?
Make sure to Post on Instagram and Tag @thetrailtohealth and use hashtag #TheTrailToHealth
You can follow my journey on Facebook and Instagram.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free. I only promote products I trust and use myself. Please see Disclosure Policy for more details.