These tacos involve melt-in-your-mouth beef, flavorful Pico and creamy avocado. The beef cooks in the Instant Pot which means that most of the cooking is hands-off. Simply let the pressure cooker do all the work before shredding into bite-sized pieces and serving in lettuce or cassava taco shells.
This recipe is from my cookbook, Wandering Palate.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Ib. beef chuck roast or stew meat, cut into 1½ inch cubes
FOR SERVING TACOS
6 lettuce cups or cassava flour tortillas
shredded lettuce, if using cassava flour tortillas
1 recipe Pico (below)
1 recipe Avocado Crema
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon garlic powder
salt, to taste
1. Press SAUTE on the Instant Pot and add the avocado oil. Add the garlic powder, onion powder and salt, and heat until aromatic. Stir in the cubed beef and cook until browned.
2. Close and lock the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Press MEAT/STEW and cook for the default time.
3. Once the cooking is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Then, release the steam by pushing the valve to the venting position. Once the steam is fully released, you can open the lid.
4. Shred the meat in the pot and strain the extra liquid.
5. To serve, divide the shredded beef between lettuce cups or cassava flour tortillas. Top with shredded lettuce (if using), Pico and Avocado Crema. Serve with sliced avocado.
FOR THE PICO
1. Dice the tomatoes and place in a bowl with the cilantro.
2. Squeeze the lime juice into a bowl and add the garlic powder. Pour over the tomato mixture and toss until combined. Season with salt to taste and serve immediately.