Nothing says fall like a creamy butternut squash soup. This soup is easy to make with the help of an Instant Pot since it cuts down the cooking time substantially. The addition of warming spices like cinnamon and nutmeg helps round out the sweet squash flavor, while a garnish of pumpkin seeds adds a pleasing crunch to this otherwise creamy soup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
2 tablespoons butter, ghee or avocado oil
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
6 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash
3-4 cups chicken bone broth
1 tablespoon fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (omit for AIP)
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut milk or grass fed cream
½ cup pumpkin seeds for garnish
1. Add your fat of choice to the Instant Pot and press SAUTE.
2. Add the garlic and onion powder and stir for 1 minute. Press CANCEL.
3. Add the butternut squash, broth, sage, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. Close and lock the lid and ensure the valve is in the sealing position. Press MANUAL and set for 15 minutes.
5. Allow the soup to naturally release for 5 minutes. Manually release by pushing the valve to the venting position.
6. Let the soup cool slightly and either move into a high speed blender or use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Stir in the coconut milk or cream. I prefer an immersion blender because you can do it in the instant pot without having to transfer the soup to a blender while it’s hot.
7. Serve immediately topped with pumpkin seeds.
Need an Instant Pot? Use code TRAILTOHEALTH for $10 off your purchase!
Did you Make This Recipe?
Make sure to Post on Instagram and Tag @thetrailtohealth and use hashtag #TheTrailToHealth
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you, which helps keep this content free. I only promote products I trust and use myself. Please see Disclosure Policy for more details.